RGD Reference Report - The LEC rat: a model for human hepatitis, liver cancer, and much more. - Rat Genome Database

Send us a Message

Submit Data |  Help |  Video Tutorials |  News |  Publications |  Download |  REST API |  Citing RGD |  Contact   

The LEC rat: a model for human hepatitis, liver cancer, and much more.

Authors: Mori, M  Hattori, A  Sawaki, M  Tsuzuki, N  Sawada, N  Oyamada, M  Sugawara, N  Enomoto, K 
Citation: Mori M, etal., Am J Pathol. 1994 Jan;144(1):200-4.
RGD ID: 15036817
Pubmed: PMID:8291609   (View Abstract at PubMed)
PMCID: PMC1887108   (View Article at PubMed Central)

The LEC rat is an inbred mutant strain with spontaneous hepatitis isolated from Long-Evans rats. Since approximately 40% of LEC rats die of fulminant hepatitis, the rat serves an animal model for studying the pathogenesis and treatment of human fulminant hepatitis. The remaining 60% of LEC rats survive and develop chronic (prolonged) hepatitis and subsequently develop liver cancer. Therefore, the LEC rat serves an important animal model for studying the significance of chronic hepatitis in the development of human liver cancer, which often develops in association with chronic hepatitis. The LEC rat can also be used as an animal model of Wilson's disease, since recent studies have disclosed high copper accumulation in the liver and low ceruloplasmin concentration in the serum of this mutant rat.

Disease Annotations    

Phenotype Annotations    

Mammalian Phenotype
Objects Annotated

Genes (Rattus norvegicus)
Atp7b  (ATPase copper transporting beta)
Atp7bhts  (ATPase copper transporting beta; hepatitis)

Genes (Mus musculus)
Atp7b  (ATPase, Cu++ transporting, beta polypeptide)

Genes (Homo sapiens)
ATP7B  (ATPase copper transporting beta)

LEC/Hok  (Long Evans Cinnamon)

Additional Information